Sigma 41 Grounding Damage
The Sigma came to us in 2009 after grounding damage was caused while sailing through Langstone Harbour. This caused damage to the keel, resulting in a new two-part keel being made.
The keel was drilled and tapped to suit the template required. All new stainless steel 316 bolts, nuts and washers were supplied and the keel was finished in a two-pack epoxy primer.
We removed the old keel and carried out any welding to cracks. All the old bedding was cleaned out from the hull landings, ready for the new keel to be fitted. We re-fitted the new keel with new keel bolts and plates. This was then filled and faired. The keel was then sanded and all exposed areas were coated in epoxy again. To finish, the keel was primed and anti-fouled.
There was the remedial work for the inside to be completed also, so do to this we removed all soft fixtures and furnishings and tented up inside for all preparation for grinding. Four areas of delamination were noted at time of inspection, so these areas were grounded back, re-laminated with equivalent layers of matting and gel washed to finish. We also checked the hull matrix for any further de-lamination. This was found to be okay. We finished this section of work with a clean up of all areas and replacing of all soft furnishings. We also had One Degree West check the engine alignment and all was found okay.